I have a secret that’s not so secret. Cookies are my kryptonite. If I am anywhere and I see a homemade cookie or a cookie that looks yummily creative, I must try it. It’s as simple as that. I’ve tasted some not-so good cookies in my days, and I’m not quick to reach for a grocery store cookie. Unless it’s from the Whole Foods cookie bar. I still revere the friend that introduced me to the Whole Foods cookie bar.
When people ask me if I am a baker, I tell them that I am not, because I don’t love the chemistry of baking. In fact, if the recipe requires exactness, I refuse to make it. I am more of a cook - I prefer a pinch of this and a dash of that - and if the food isn’t exactly the same as last time, even better. I’m not interested in cooking to reproduce a taste or an experience - I simply enjoy the process of cooking.
So I want to share my three favorite cookie recipes with you! But they come with my pro-one-bowl-tip. Because without my tip, you won’t have the same relaxed and enjoyable cookie cooking experience. Are you ready? Here goes:
- Grab your favorite mixer; it can be a big bowl + a fork, or your kitchen aid.
- Read the entire recipe.
- Microwave the butter for 10-20 seconds to soften. (If it ends up runny, thats totally fine, just make sure you include the amount the recipe requires.)
- Blend the butter and the sugar together in the mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the rest of the wet ingredients.
- When you’re ready to move on to the dry ingredients, don’t mix them separately!
- First, add your smallest dry ingredients, like your baking soda and salt, to the wet ingredients.
- Then, gradually add the rest of your dry ingredients, saving the chunkiest, like chocolate chips or raisins, for last.
- Disregard the measurement instructions and use a big spoon or an ice cream scoop to drop dough on your cookie sheets!
- Bake as directed
Now I know that chemists and people who bake for the love of precision will absolutely abhor my one bowl process… but give it a try! This is the only way I make these cookies and it hasn’t failed me yet!
*I only use one package or two cups of chocolate chip cookies
Do you have a favorite baking shortcut? Do share!